Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beginnings

I entered this community engaged project with a very open plan - actually, there was no plan or at least no fixed vision or outcome. This is how I usually work in my own practice. I begin with 'beginnings', rather than 'endings'.

Our initial starting points were simple:

1. Drawing - existing and new understandings and perceptions of what drawing can be.
2. Diaspora - we are all women who live away from our ancestral homes.

In our first meeting, I introduced myself to the group by giving them a glimpse into my own art practice, with a focus on my approach drawing. Prior to showing them images of my work, I asked, What is drawing? They responded with;

architecture
nature
abstract not realistic
design
mind maps
drawing with kids
cartoons
animation
graphics
engineering
3-D
embroidery
anatomy

Gallery shot from my recent exhibition/live work installation Hajara Waraka Miqass Plump Gallery November 2011. Photo by Viv McGregor

Following the overview of my work, I re-framed the question. What can drawing be? We managed to add a number of other approaches to our definition and understanding of drawing.

colouring
sketching
beading
knitting
crochet
crafting
stitching
painting


We then discussed the existing skills and interests of each participant - which I listed on a large sheet of paper.

embroidery
henna/mehndi
painting
architecture
working with found materials
crochet
knitting
dress making and designing
flower arrangements
collage
gardening
cake decorating
stitching
glass painting
interior design
I explained my process for working and generating ideas. From these discussions, I was trying to create a number of starting points to begin working from.

I asked them to bring three things to next week's session;

1. A piece of cloth from home

2. A tool that they use for making/engaging in one of their existing 'skills and interests'.

3. A story that relates to them in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment